Monday, October 18, 2010

Love is vast beyond all measure


Let me first begin by writing you the lyrics to one of my favorite raw worship songs. Let this truth flood over you.

How deep the father's love for us; How vast beyond all measure
that He should give His only son to make a wretch His treasure.

How great the pain of searing loss; The Father turns His face away
as wounds which mar the Chosen One bring many sons to glory.

Behold the man upon the cross; My sin upon His shoulders.
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers.

It was my sin that held Him there until it was accomplished.
His dying breath has brought me life. I know that it is finished.

I will not boast anything; No gifts, no power, no wisdom,
but I will boast in Jesus Christ; His death and resurrection.

Why should I gain from His reward, I cannot give an answer,
But this I know with all my heart: His wounds have paid my ransom.


Amazing, right? I don't know where you are when you read that or what's going in your life, but always know: the father's love for us is deep and vast beyond all measure.

About a week ago, A group of mine was going over a packet entitled "Shrinking the Cross". The basic message that I pulled away was that whenever you forget how much the Father loves you, whenever you let guilt overwhelm you, whenever your view of the Father becomes one of condemnation and punishment, you are severely shrinking the cross. We're all screwed up. We all have our constant mistakes looking at us in the face, but you know who doesn't? God, our Father, whose son took them from His presence and buried them deep away. For three days my sin and your sin caused such a searing loss between Father and Son BUT know this: It is finished, Jesus rose again! Our dad in heaven loves us SO much! Doesn't it just cause you to want to run after his arms? to love him as much as possible back?

And knowing that we are all flawed, let us also not judge and condemn others. Pour out the love you've been shown to all those around you! Encourage and build up those around you and provide them a community. Our fall retreat this weekend was all about community, and oh how important it truly is. We must not put up facades and walls to protect our dignity for in so doing you become even more lonely. So often do I do this and so often do i feel that repercussion. True community is honesty, vulnerability, love, grace, and as fall retreat pointed out: Desperation, Passion, Mission! so go out today and love on all those around you as you remember that God's love for you is:

VAST BEYOND ALL MEASURE!


God's bridge reaches to wherever you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment